Thursday, March 6, 2008

A Map for Ella

Ella Diaz and I have made plans to take a train trip to Sacramento on March 31.

Much of Ella's academic work is focused on 'remapping' areas in relation to cultural change...I think I am interested in exploring this sort of theme when documenting her. Perhaps a map of the train route from SF to Sacramento correlated with what I learn about her as a person and her work in general. After the train ride, she will show me the remaining murals that she is focusing on in Ph.D. thesis and I will visit her house and meet her dog.

This is her dog, Bean.

1 comment:

David said...

i love your idea of using a map to document ella...using maps as a navigational structure is something that I have been interested in for a long time (i wrote this hypertext as an undergrad that used the NYC subway system as its narrative structure.) There are some really interesting things that google maps API are allowing people to do. Maybe you should check out these two sites for some inspiration?

http://www.communitywalk.com/
http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/gems/gmap2_flash.html